MCIT Online, the first fully online degree program at Penn Engineering, is looking for teaching assistants to provide an exceptional educational experience to students from around the country and the globe. As members of the first TA cohort you will be trailblazers by providing high engagement learning completely virtually. Supported by faculty, staff and head TAs, you will form a course team dedicated to ensuring that no student is left behind.
Current Openings for Spring 2019
We are seeking current Penn students (juniors, seniors and graduate students) who are interested in being TAs and Graders for the following courses:
- ONLINE CIT 591 Introduction to Software Development, Dr. Arvind Bhusnurmath
Note: You must have taken CIT 591, CIS 120 or the equivalent CIS course to apply for this position.
- ONLINE CIT 592 Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, Dr. Val Tannen
Note: You must have taken CIT 592, CIS 160 or the equivalent CIS course to apply for this position.
We are looking for individuals with the following skills and attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Willingness to learn something new and be challenged
- Enjoy working in teams
TA responsibilities include:
- Attend live and virtual orientation sessions
- Beta test course material in Coursera
- Attend weekly hour-long course staff meetings
- Participate in weekly virtual live hour-long office hours, small group and individual
- Participate in weekly virtual live hour-long recitations, including problems chosen by course staff, and problems addressing the current difficulties of the students
- Participate in weekly support of another TA's recitation (592 only)
- Monitor and respond to student questions in the communications forum based on a schedule (similar to Piazza), and ensure questions are answered within 24 hrs. 1-2hr per week commitment.
- As needed and directed by the instructor, provide 1:1 support to struggling students
- Grade student work according to an established rubric, provide feedback and upload grades to the grade book (may not be required for classes that use graders).
- 5-10 hours per week
- Since all student interaction is online, these positions provide slightly more flexibility than on-campus TA positions.
- TAs will be paid $16/hr
In addition to TAs, we are looking for graders:
- Graders will grade assignments based on a rubric and provide written feedback
- Graders will be paid $13/hr